Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Macadamia nuts don't come from jars!

A few months ago I saw one of my students holding something in his hand that looked like this:

What I saw before - and after - I ate the nut!
I didn't know what it was, and he was having a hard time explaining, so he opened it up and I realized it was a macadamia nut. This was kind of exciting for me - I'd never seen the nut in the shell - only in a jar! I ate the nut, which was delicious.

Peto (my student) said that he was not going to eat the nuts, but plant them. I had no idea what the trees look like.
Macadamia Pacman
From that time on, I'd see Peto go back and water his plants. After awhile there were numerous small trees. Peto graduated, so all his trees were moved to the farm and re-potted.

A small macadamia tree.
I did some research online and found that a macadamia tree will begin to bear fruit in about five years. So you can check back then to see the finished result!

Posted by: Aj. Erika

No comments:

Post a Comment