Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Lahu Thanksgiving

It's been a few weeks of Lahu cultural events! (And, yes, an American cultural event as well, but that's next post!)

A couple weeks ago I finally went to the village of one of my students. It was such a great opportunity since I told him a couple years ago that I would really try to make it there. Well, I finally did!

We left early in the morning, piling into the back of a pick-up truck that took us a couple hours to the north. The weather was beautiful and sitting back there seeing the mountains and crops pass us by was so beautiful. Thailand is truly a gorgeous place.

The hired truck with some students and a teacher.


We arrived and had a wonderful breakfast (brunch?) and then went to the villages Thanksgiving service. There, several groups got up and sang a song or two, including some of the students, and then there was a message given in Lahu. It isn't until I hear another language other than Thai that I feel like, oh I wish they would speak in Thai, then I would understand a little! I didn't understand but got some translation later.

The oh so delicious food!


Austin, me, Bouy after eating.


In an open area of the village tents were put up and people brought all different kinds of food. After eating we spent some time relaxing indoors - talking and eating snacks.

A couple of the tents set up with food. In the center people are grabbing containers of rice off the table.

One of the long tables of food.

My food.

The view from where we ate.

Eating snacks in Samuey's house.

Samuey pouring some Fanta to drink with our snacks.


Samuey was our host, but I was able to see where another of my students lives, and a former student. It was a great opportunity to see where they are from and meet their families.

Before long, it was time to head back to Chiang Mai - another fun experience under my belt.

Posted by: Aj. Erika

No comments:

Post a Comment